Thursday, October 4, 2012

Stone Works

Huestis Tucker Architects


Have you seen the website Houzz?  It's an online forum where residential architects, designers, and product manufactures can show their projects and products.  It's a great resource for people who are considering building or renovating a home.  People ask all sorts of questions about the work which is published on Houzz.  Lately I've had several people ask me what the name of the stone is that I've used on a project.  When it comes to exterior masonry, I think most architects use local stone.  Especially if you want your project to feel "of a place".  So I find it extremely odd when someone from say, California, wants to reproduce a masonry look from New England, and they want the name of it so they can use it in their home.  So odd! 

Huestis Tucker Architects

Huestis Tucker Architects

 
 Huestis Tucker Architects

To me the stone in our projects above really say Connecticut....they are built with native Connecticut stone; a mix of light colored and gray fieldstone, in varying sizes with large flush mortar joints.

 Archer Buchanan

 Archer Buchanan

 Archer Buchanan
These three images above are from Pennsylvania...I love how masonry from each region in our country has a very different look.

 Ken Tate

Norris Architecture

 Norris Architecture

 Oak Hill Architects

RWA Architects

Wiltshire England
And of course, who doesn't love the stone houses of England!!??

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Jennifer ~
    Your project is beautiful. I love all the different sizes of stone, and the cedar lintel over the window (photo 2). I'm not on Houzz....perhaps I will sign up.
    Hope you are doing well.
    Cheers,
    Loi

    ReplyDelete